- The Privacy Act 1988 incorporates the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs), which apply to the collection, use and disclosure of an individual’s personal information relating to companies or businesses.
- This policy applies to any person in relation to whom we currently hold, or may in the future collect personal information. This Policy applies the privacy of GPTQ’s customers, clients, and staff in relation to information shared by them with us in good faith.
What is personal information?
- In simple terms, it means any information or opinions relating to a particular individual who can be identified. Information is not personal information where the information cannot be linked to an identifiable individual.
What is sensitive information?
- Sensitive information is personal information such as health information and information about personal attributes such as ethnic or racial origin, membership of organisations such as trade unions, religious or political affiliations.
HOW AND WHY GPTQ COLLECTS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Personal information is usually collected directly from you by phone, email, questionnaire, and at personal meetings.
- We may also collect personal information in other ways, such as from recruitment selection agencies, current and previous employers, trade references, and other education and training providers.
- Personal Information that we collect and use may include:
- your name;
- date of birth;
- current address and contact details;
- next of kin;
- tax file number and/or Australian Business Number;
- proof of eligibility to work in Australia;
- education details;
- employment arrangements and history;
- bank details;
- business references;
- marital status;
- criminal history;
- details about your business; and
- drivers licence details
- Generally, GPTQ does not collect sensitive information.
- We will only collect, use or disclose your personal information if that information is necessary to assist GPTQ in its function of providing training programs and services and employment or if that collection, use or disclosure is for a purpose:
- set out in this policy;
- you would reasonably expect;
- required or permitted by law; or
- otherwise disclosed to you to which you have consented.
- In some instances, if you do not provide us with your personal information that we require, we may be unable to provide you with the programs or services you require.
PROTECTION AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- GPTQ maintains the confidentiality and security of your personal information by restricting access to those staff and service providers required to provide education and training related: employment, programs and services, and management and administration services. A range of security measures is also in place designed to prevent the misuse, unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure of your personal information.
- GPTQ manages the personal information we collect in numerous ways, such as by:
- implementing procedures for identifying and managing privacy risks;
- implementing security systems for protecting personal information from misuse, interference and loss from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure;
- providing staff with training on privacy issues;
- appropriately supervising staff who regularly handle personal information;
- implementing mechanisms to ensure any agents or contractors who deal with us comply with the APPs;
- implementing procedures for identifying and reporting privacy breaches and for receiving and responding to complaints; and
- appointing a person within the business to monitor privacy compliance.
- We will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information if that information is no longer needed for the purposes for which we are authorised to use it.
- Due to the nature of our business it is generally not possible to use a pseudonym or remain anonymous when dealing with us. However, if you want to use a pseudonym or remain anonymous when dealing with us, you should notify us and we will try to accommodate your request, subject to our and your ability to perform the services required of each of us.
HOW DO WE HOLD PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- Our usual approach to holding personal information includes holding that information:
- physically, at our premises; and
- electronically, on secure servers.
- We secure the personal information we hold in numerous ways, including:
- using security systems to limit access to premises outside of business hours;
- using secure servers to store personal information;
- using unique usernames, passwords and other protections on systems that can access personal information; and
- holding certain sensitive documents securely.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO OTHER PARTIES
- If you are a client, employee, or contractor it may be necessary for GPTQ to disclose your personal information to certain third parties in the managing and administering of your vocational training program and/or your employment or other business relationship with GPTQ.
- Examples of the types of organisations to which we may disclose your personal information include (but are not limited to):
- Other members of the staff and our affiliated GP Supervisors and Practice Managers for the purpose of planning and implementing your training program;
- Organisations undertaking compliance reviews of the business or reviews of the accuracy or completeness of the information;
- Organisations providing:
- our mailing services;
- maintenance of our information technology systems and data; and
- printing of our standard documents and correspondence;
- Exchange of information with authorised institutions and organisations such as:
- The Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
- The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Commonwealth Department of Health (CDoH)
- Queensland Department of Health (Queensland Health) and applicable Hospital & Health Services
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
- Australian College of Rural & Remote Medicine (ACRRM)
- General Practice Supervisors Australia (GPSA)
- General Practice Registrars Australia (GPRA)
- Accredited AGPT Practices and Clinics
- Queensland Primary Health Care Neworks (QPHNs)
- Queensland Universities and their Rural Clinical Schools (RCSs) and Training Hubs
- Health Workforce Queensland (HWQ)
HOW DOES GPTQ DEAL WITH PRIVACY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- GPTQ endeavours to ensure that any individual or organisation to which it discloses your personal information, has appropriate privacy protocols in place. Where you wish to authorise any other parties to act on your behalf, or to receive information, please notify us in writing.
- GPTQ does not supply, sell, or rent its clients’ or other persons’ personal information to any unrelated third parties for the purpose of those third parties marketing their products or services to you.
- However, GPTQ will disclose your personal information in circumstances where it has statutory, regulatory, or contractual obligations or is required by law to do so.
ACCESS AND CORRECTNESS OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- GPTQ relies on the correctness of the personal information you supply.
- However, if any of your personal information is incorrect, has changed or requires updating, please forward a written request to our Chief Executive Officer and/or directly using GPTQ provided electronic information updating facilities such as through changing personal information on MyGPTQ or CONNX.
- For security reasons requests for changing personal information will require proof of your identity. If you are able to establish that the personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up to date, we will take all reasonable steps to correct our records. We may charge a fee for photocopying any information requested by you.
- Otherwise, you have a general right to access and copy your personal Information, subject to certain exceptions provided for in the Privacy Act. In that regard, GPTQ may exercise its right to deny access to particular information in certain circumstances, such as when legal proceedings may have commenced. If access to your personal information is denied, GPTQ will explain the reasons why.
WILL WE DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE AUSTRALIA?
- We generally do not disclose personal information outside of Australia.
HOW LONG IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION KEPT?
- When we no longer require your personal information (including when we are no longer required by law to keep records relating to you), we ensure that it is destroyed or de-identified. Personal information of clients is kept as long as it is required to provide the training services that you receive via GPTQ and as is required by law and regulation.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE A PRIVACY COMPLAINT
- GPTQ is committed to resolving your privacy complaint as quickly as possible and has internal procedures in place to help resolve any problems or complaints efficiently. Its aim is to assist you by reaching a satisfactory solution as soon as possible.
- If you have a complaint, you must follow the following process:
- The complaint must first be made to us in writing and addressed to the Chief Executive Officer using the contact details as follows. We will have a reasonable time to respond to the complaint.